Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Community

Something I've been thinking about since I started this journey is community.

Some people say that you are destined to become like those you surround yourself with. If it's a bunch of super-skinny model-types, then their non-eating ways will rub off on you. If it's a group of plump and happy people who love a good burger and beer, then you will become a plump and happy person due to your love of a good burger and beer. If you surround yourself with people who are intent on fitness and eating healthily, then that will be who you become.

Because there is power in numbers. And the way a group behaves socially, is the way that you end up behaving with that group.

 

This is neither good, nor bad.

It is human.

It is how humans act in groups. It's not peer pressure, it's socialization.

 I did pack on a number of pounds when I started drinking beer more regularly and then more than regularly and added to that a burger a week or so. There is nothing inherently wrong with liking to have a burger or loving beer. The excess to which I was going with the two is what was wrong.

 And so the journey began. To regain health and fitness. And moderation.

 But I am NOT alone.

 I have a large group of people who are also on this journey. Many started on this journey before me and taught me that yes, I can still love beer and participate while still being health-conscious. Many of my friends in my craft beer community joined Weight Watchers before me. They have been an inspiration. Many of my craft beer friends have started their own fitness challenges. We can share with each other our struggles or our pitfalls. And we can celebrate victories.

 I have a challenge group that is there when I don't quite feel like working out. To give me hints, tricks, and tips on how to better my journey. I have input on how to eat cleaner.

I have a support network. I have you. You read, you encourage, and I feel I am accountable to you.

 I have Weight Watchers as a tool and as an accountability measure.

 I have my boyfriend, who is also on this journey to better health. We can both weigh the benefits of our choices. We can work out together, we can encourage each other. It means so much to have someone beside me to share the struggle and also to encourage.

 I am not alone in this journey.

 

I have a community.
A community who is fun.
A community who understands.
A community who picks me up when I'm down, doesn't judge me when I fall, and encourages me and cheers me on when I make progress.

We all belong.

And I love giving back to my community!

 ~Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment