Friday, July 19, 2013

Metrics

Card carrying data monger, here.

There is no taking the analysis out of this lady.

I like being able to track and forecast things. It gives me a realistic idea of what the future holds.

I like seeing what my 7 day average weight it and see when it reaches various thresholds.

I like having a measuring stick to measure against and work towards.

These motivate me.

How I feel motivates me, but when I'm having a bad week or a bad day, it helps to review how far I've come. Today is NOT a bad day, but I'm coming off a rather intense week.

So, what are these tools? Oh, just a ton of spreadsheets & charts, and measurements, weights, and a pair of jeans.

Spreadsheets:

Weights & Measurements
This is where I keep my semi-daily home weigh-ins and my Weight Watchers weigh-ins. I also have a section with the measurements I take monthly.

Weight Chart & Measurement Chart, which are updated on the tracking page here

Differences Spreadsheet
This keeps track of the total drop at home and at Weight Watchers and also the difference between the scales on the days that I weigh in in both places (on average the difference is about 2.5 pounds)

Forecast Spreadsheet & Chart
This is the fun one. I have my current weight trend from Weight Watchers and I have projected the loss if I continue at 2 lbs/week, 1.5 lbs/week, 1 lb/week and .8 lbs/week into the future highlighting when I will reach my first goal of 150 lbs, and then subsequent 145 lbs and 140 lbs. After 140 lbs, I plan to hold steady. There is absolutely no reason for me to be smaller. I'm not even sure that 145 is not too small for my frame & the muscle I'm building.  So I'm really just seeing how it goes after reaching 150 lbs.

Trends I use this to get a 7 day average of my daily home weigh ins. This helps me to see the trends that I'm following. I already have the 7 day sampled Weight Watchers weigh ins, but the moving average takes into account what's going on in between so there is more detail to it.
And there's just a small insight into how my mind works in its motivation. Charts, forcasts, trends.

~Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment