Saturday, April 13, 2013

Running

So.

Running.

I used to run all the time.

In middle school, I started running on the cross country & track teams.
In high school, I continued.
In college, I ran at 11:45 pm across & around campus.
And then I stopped.
Grad school was where my running dwindled to a bi-monthly pace.
I have started & stopped many times. Competed in 15Ks, ran at lunch, and regular spurts & intervals. After running for so long, it is the exercise that my muscles remember and crave.

In this restart, I haven't been doing my usual cardio-centric work like running. But it's been working for me. The other day, I went for a run/walk, and was surprised at how easily the running came. And then my friend Jennifer put out a virtual 5K challenge. Whoever you were, wherever you were, you were to complete 3.1 miles. And post your results to the group.

And so I devised a route that brought me to Starbucks so I could have a tea that didn't taste like rancid coffee.

And I told myself, being at 5300 ft above sea level, that I would run until I wheezed, and then I could walk. And I did not wheeze. I did not slow down. I did not feel like stopping. I could have run for another mile or two. And that, that is a fantastic feeling.

Two and a half months ago, I could not finish a half a mile running, much less 3.1 and I think I'll continue making running part of my workouts twice a week.

Yay!

~Katie





1 comment:

  1. Yay running! I'm planning on getting back to running later this week.

    ReplyDelete