Monday, June 3, 2013

7-Minute Quickie

I found this article through a blog that I follow. It outlines a 7 minute High Intensity Circuit Training method for fitness.

I've been missing workouts, and so this quick little routine is something that is great to have in my back pocket for when I'm just sitting around. For instance, I did about 4-5 minutes of it during my lunch. Closed my office door, set my phone timer (I found one that does the 30 seconds with 10 seconds of rest on repeat), and went to town. In my work clothes. Which is why I just did 5 minutes, because I could tell I was on the verge of sweating and this workout goes from barely sweating to dripping in 1 step. It gets your heart rate up, you need next to no supplies (a chair is helpful, but you could adapt it to use other objects or use modified moves).

Ben Wiseman

Here's the article:  http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/the-scientific-7-minute-workout/

Here's the workout taken from the research paper
HICT SAMPLE PROGRAM
The following is an example of a 12-station HICT program. All exercises can be done with body weight and implements easily acquired in almost any setting (e.g., home, office, hotel room, etc.). The exercise order allows for a total body exercise to significantly increase the heart rate while the lower, upper, and core exercises function to maintain the increased heart rate while developing strength.
Exercises are performed for 30 seconds, with 10 seconds of transition time between bouts. Total time for the entire circuit workout is approximately 7 minutes. The circuit can be repeated 2 to 3 times.
1. Jumping jacks Total body
2. Wall sit Lower body
3. Push-up Upper body
4. Abdominal crunch Core
5. Step-up onto chair Total body
6. Squat Lower body
7. Triceps dip on chair Upper body
8. Plank Core
9. High knees/running in place Total body
10. Lunge Lower body
11. Push-up and rotation Upper body
12. Side plank Core
So, if you need a quick little workout and you have some space, this is a great tool to have handy.
The research paper notes that if you do it 6/7 days a week going through the circuit at least once a day, then it significantly aids fat loss (whee!)

No excuses, if you can't get your normal workout in, get in a circuit.

~Katie 

2 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work, you can do it! My friend went from a size 14 to a size 4 in 18 months and now she is training to compete in professional figure competitions and she did it all through healthy eating and exercise thats it.

    Ali of

    Dressing Ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ali! I'll take all the support I can get!

      Delete