Friday, June 7, 2013

Stress Eating

Unless you have ever been a stress eater, you may not understand how important yesterday's behavior for me was.

I am running up against a deadline at work.

It's important.

I am duly stressed about it and spending longer hours at work.

Which means I'm spending less time working out, working on BeerSox stuff, cleaning up and organizing the house, and spending time with James than I want.

And it means that I'm combatting, moment by moment, my need to fill that stress with candy.

It has always been my go-to. When I was running against a major test or major paper in college: bust out the swedish fish and gummy bears and jelly beans and peach rings (all my favorites are pretty much gummy).

When working on big projects late at night, or into the evening, I go next door to CVS, and buy a bag. Or two. Or three. Every Day.

This time? I am determined not to cave for candy.

I went to the grocery store. I have bananas. I have slightly decadent yogurt dessert. I have food, but not enough that I will go overboard, just enough to fuel the brain and the fingers.

I have my workout clothes with me today. I will go for a walk at lunch and do some HIIT in the park. I may also do that when I normally go home just to reset my brain for more work.

I'm trying to create new habits that actually fuel my brain rather than creating more stress by making me heavier.

One day at a time.

~Katie

2 comments: