Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Body Image & Body Confidence

I don't necessarily think that body image issues and body confidence issues are the same thing. They can be. I won't argue that they overlap a fair amount, but I know that someone can have a relatively poor body image and have body confidence.

Body confidence is feeling at home in your skin. Willing to show it, flaws and all (if it's within their ideas of modesty).

Body image is a different matter. It's what we think of our bodies. It's how we relate to it and how we treat it. Feeling fat, feeling ugly, feeling like that somehow makes us unworthy to celebrate our bodies.

I struggle with body image. I struggle with seeing myself as I am and not letting my mind blow me out of proportion. I struggle with comparing myself to others and always finding myself lacking. It need not be BMI comparison, it could be hair, it could be bright sparkly eyes, it could be any number of things. I compare and I will find myself lacking.

Body confidence? I've never really lacked that, except for where I was when I started this journey in January. In January, I knew that something was wrong because I was suddenly unable to strut my stuff or show myself off.

I have scars.
I have never had a hard body.
I am pale.
My skin gets rashes when I stress out.

But I've never really had too many qualms about getting in a bikini or lingerie and knowing that the photos will be posted somewhere public. Maybe it's just my personality? I mean, when I took my Before photos, I was at my lowest body image point for years. I was berating myself every day. But I had few qualms about posting them on a public website for anyone to see if they wanted to. I wore a bikini this past weekend, even though I was with ladies who are far more in shape with much less softness around the belly area. I figured, I wanted the opportunity to get some sun on the pasty white belly I sport. (see, right there is a body image issue that I'm trying to combat. I still think of the one major sore spot for me when I think of how I look in a bikini.)

What are your body issue thoughts?
Do you strive for body confidence? Do you have a great body image and poor body confidence? Great body confidence and lack the best body image? Have you achieved both?

~Katie

5 comments:

  1. I'm at my most physically fit I've ever been. Weakest area is upper body, working on that. Even so I'd say my body confidence is pretty high right now. But, I'm still body conscious and feel fleshy/bloaty/jowly a lot of the time. Plus I'm starting to realize I have modesty issues, like what I'll feel comfortable wearing at home in the back yard differs from what I'll wear out in public (in terms of how much body I'm showing). I've been comfortable wearing a lot shorter skirts and skimpier tops lately -but- I don't think I'll ever be brave enough to wear a bikini. Maybe a bikini top with board shorts, but that would be pushing it. And it's not that I think my ass is hideous (back rolls though, yes), it's just, I don't know. I love seeing other ladies dare to bare, it gives me hope/inspiration, but I'm just not there yet. Even if I was 10 lb lighter and toned as hell I'm not sure I'd ever feel comfortable in a bikini.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS I totally had to google what a Burpee is. I might have to start doing some of those!

      Delete
    2. I totally didn't address how modesty does not equal lack of body confidence. That's a choice between public and private self. How we present ourselves to the world. I think that one can both be modest in how much skin they show, while still exuding body confidence. I also don't think that showing more skin should be the goal of body confidence.

      Delete
  2. It's funny - I fight the same issues, but in reverse. (What, you thought guys didn't face this too? ;) )

    My body image has generally been good-to-great. I've never exactly had a muscular physique, but then again, I've never felt that unhappy with myself. (C has been good about, very gently and with love, pointing out that I may have some areas of concern. I'm learning to look more critically.)

    Body confidence, on the other hand, is shot. Nobody wants to see this. Not that I was ever much of a water rat, but I can't remember the last time I was comfortable shirtless in a pool or on a beach. Lumpy, bumpy, roly poly, and about as white as cauliflower. Or, so I tell myself.

    I've maintained sanity by finding contentment. One, I have to stop and sometimes put more trust in what others tell me they see than what I see myself. (The voices in your head can sometimes lie, or at least exaggerate the truth.) Two, it isn't something that changes overnight. So, I have to be happy that I'm working in a positive direction, even if I'm not done with that journey. Finding a way to be content - without getting complacent - is the happy medium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally also struggle with the not overnight issue. I have a goal and I want it achieved yesterday. I've been running up against a lot of goal fatigue and plateauing, so I'm working on getting through this bump. I find that health goals help motivate me when I'm having issues with how I look. I'll focus on drinking water more often, or adding leafy greens into my meals as much as I can. A goal, and A plan works better than no goal and no plan and lack of contentment.

      Delete