Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Trying Something Out

When I was a kid, my mom made my lunch for school.

It was simple:
Sandwich (either meat or peanut butter based)
Juicebox (or milk from the cafeteria)
Fruit
Crunchy Snack
Dessert (sometimes 2 cookies, sometimes a little debbie cake)

That was the recipe. My mom made 4 lunches at a time, assembly-line style.

For the past few years, I have not had a sandwich for lunch. I've had Lean Cuisine or another frozen meal, gone on soup kicks, leftovers, going out for food, etc. And, after staying at my friend's house and making a sandwich for lunch the other day, I decided to give it a try. I can keep the ingredients at work, since we have an office fridge. I do, however, find myself getting HUNGRY around 3 pm. And going back to have another half-sandwich.

However, I'm missing things. I'm not bringing a drink, but I have tea here, and it suits me fine, so I don't need milk or juice. I'm making a sandwich very simple: sandwich thins, Laughing Cow Light Cheese wedge, 97% fat free turkey breast cold cuts. This comes to 4 WW points. I prefer to have a lunch be around 7-9 points, so I need to up my good calorie intake. I don't have a crunchy snack, and I forgot to get enough fruit for more than one day, and I have no dessert (not even fruit as dessert). So I end up starving at 3.

Today, I switched it up a bit.

I had a cup of soup that was packed with good proteins and was a 3 WW points serving.
I had a sandwich thin 2 WW points with a Laughing Cow wedge 1 WW point. So I had the 7 points I was aiming for.

And still, with the hungry at 3, when I took just 1 sandwich thin, 1 cheese wedge, and 6 slices of meat for my mid-afternoon snack.

I'm not sure if this is working for me. But we'll see what happens when I add in fruit at mid-morning and mid-afternoon. And maybe work out with myself to have a 2 point sweet dessert to close it out.

I am hungry, but I'm also working out, so I may be burning more points than the activelink is counting with the weightlifting.

We'll see how this week goes as I adapt to making a more routine lunch experience.

~Katie


2 comments:

  1. I tried this for a while, too, and I just couldn't get over the hunger. Now for lunch I eat half an avocado mashed up with lime juice and a hard-boiled egg, smeared on 2 pieces of toasted ezekial bread and topped with half a sliced roma tomato. It's full of protein, healthy fats, and super filling. When I get sick of that, I alternate it with my fit foods lunches OR I get those microwavable sweet potatoes and eat them with an egg and laughing cow inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the My Fit Foods for lunch, plus I usually get an afternoon snack if I get there. I have ezekiel bread at home, and I think that it keeps me full longer than these sandwich thins. It has twice the points value, but I think it's worth the compromise.

      I will need to try the avocado + egg & tomato meal. It comes to 10 points, but I think that's what I need for lunch when I'm in this month of heavy lifting (Push Circuit).

      Delete