Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Kicking It Into High Gear

So.

I said I was recommitting, and I totally am!

Yesterday, I got back into the Shakeology habit, and I really must say that it helps to have that kick of protein, nutrients, and the awesome sweet tooth abatement in the morning.

Last night, I went to the grocery to pick up some much-needed food and healthy snacks (like fruit), then I came home and did some dishes, shaped up some of the house, and got my butt into gear.  Last night, the workout was Fire 45. I was supposed to have done it on Saturday, but we were on 'vacation' and so I did HIIT 15, instead, and took Sunday off (when I was supposed to do HIIT 15). Yesterday was my rest day, so I used it as my makeup day and did Fire 45.

Wow.

By the end of that workout, I was more flailing than following the routine. It will definitely take me a few more times of doing it with the breakdown to get the hang of it.  My roundhouse kicks are pretty pitiful right now, but I'm putting in the effort, and not quitting halfway through. By then end of the workout, I was at 125% on my ActiveLink!

Yes, my face matches my tee-shirt. This is what my body does when I work out. I can't help it.

James and I ate dinner, which was back to routine. Eggs, scrambled and split between us, salsa, and I had two pieces of Ezekiel Raisin Bread with a bit of butter. I had had two pieces of whole grain Ezekiel bread with melted cheese and 97% fat free mesquite smoked jalapeno turkey breast slices before my workout. I also had a banana on my way home from the grocery store. And I had a beer. I love the Shiner summer seasonal Ruby Redbird. It's only 4.2% ABV and it has a bite of ginger and grapefruit, so refreshing. I know a lot of craft beer nerds turn their nose up at it, but even when compared to other craft beers made with ginger, it has the BITE that I crave from a good ginger beer without the sugar bomb.

So that was last night.

I went to bed around 10:30 pm. I've been getting really tired lately. I don't really know why, but I know that I operate best with 7.5-8 hours of sleep. That's what my body needs, or I just start shutting down in weird ways. I also knew that I wanted to start getting my workouts done in the morning. This means getting my rump out of bed before 8 am. Yes, I normally wake up at 8 am, quickly get ready and am out the door by 8:35 to get to work at 9 am. Why? Because I don't get to bed until midnight, and getting myself vertical after only 6 hours of sleep is near-impossible. I have learned this in the past 31 years. I have stopped being surprised by it.  So, even with my boyfriend mercilessly making fun of me for being old, I conked out at 10:30 pm. And guess what? When my alarm went off at 6:30 am? I was actually ready to wake up. I did laze about for another 25 minutes before getting to my workout, but I totally felt refreshed and ready rather than wanting one more hour in bed.

So I did my workout! Okay, I did part of my workout. On the slate for today was Fire 30 & Abs 10 from the TurboFire program. Since it was another new workout for me, I did the Fire 30 with breakdown promts, which makes it last a bit longer than 30 minutes, and so I really needed to get showered and out the door rather than do the Abs 10. It's 10 minutes. I can do that this evening after I run my errands.

This time, I ended up doing the low-impact workout modifications half-way through, and my roundhouses got about 2 feet off the ground. BUT I DID THE WHOLE THING!


I'm beginning to think, that with TurboFire, I need to work on fixing up the garage for workouts sooner rather than later. My old 1920's hardwood floor on pier & beam is not made for jumping around constantly. I'll have to look into getting a portable air conditioner for the garage and really putting in the time to fixing it up so I can workout out there and free up some of the living room space for James' things when he moves his things out of the apartment.

Not really down to pre-weekend weight, at all, but moving in the right direction!

~Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment