Monday, October 14, 2013

Continuing the project

I will admit to struggling with this project. My first reaction to things not meeting expectations is to blame myself. I am struggling with looking at the situation & finding the lessons learned rather than simply the parts I failed to perform.

When someone doesn't have as good of a time as they expected, I blame myself. I wallow. I find all the ways that I failed that person.

I should have pushed myself.
I should have been more exciting.
I should have made more new friends.
I should have stayed out later.
I should have laughed more.
I should have been the life of the party.
I should have planned better.

These thoughts are dangerous. These are the thoughts that I'm trying to teach my brain to avoid. And it is so difficult to break the habit. It is so difficult to simply look at the situation with open eyes and accept it at face value: expectations were not met. 

What can be changed in the future to meet them? Do the expectations need to be changed? Does the preparation need to be changed? Does the approach need to be changed? Or was it all circumstantial?

My friend Christine has a motto: You are enough.

I am working to believe that deep down. I  am enough. 

I am enough. Whether I am exhausted physically & emotionally, I am enough. Whether I have doubts & question the future, I am enough. Whether the happy facade has left higher expectations from others or not, I am enough.

I am enough.

Strong enough.
Smart enough.
Loving enough.
Fun enough.
Kind enough.
Driven enough.
Forgiving enough.

Just plain enough.

Today, I am enough.

~Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment