Sunday, February 9, 2014

Fitbit Force Issues

Disclaimer: this is my experience with a rash developed after wearing the Fitbit Force. Photos of rash are included.

I have been wearing a Fitbit since August or so & have LOVED it. I had the Flex up until Christmas, when James gave me my much anticipated present of the Force. I put it on Christmas Eve and continued wearing it continuously until Friday of this week.

Some of you may have read stories about this, but I had not until I suddenly developed a small rash on my left wrist. I noticed a few raised bumps under the band on my wrist on Thursday night. It didn't itch, but it was raised and a bit bumpy & red.


So I figured it had something to do with the metal part under the display, so I put a wrap underneath it, but the rash did not subside.


And then I didn't want to wear it on my right hand either, should a rash develop there, so I discontinued use on Friday altogether.

The rash has gotten worse and developed into blisters and it's rather disconcerting. It's a bit itchy, but I don't want to break it and risk infection. Hopefully, it will heal on it's own, but many resources say that this can only be fully cleared with medical help. Color me unhappy.

Here it is today.


You can read stories about this and other, more intense developments all over the internet. Fitbit is refunding money and exchanging for other models and I so wish that I didn't have to do that, but I know that I can't wear something that causes this.

I had absolutely no reaction over the 5 weeks I wore this continuously. It developed suddenly on Thursday and has continued to get worse, despite discontinuing use. 

Theories range from a metal allergy to it being from the charging port, which is located on the underside of the display and is uncovered. Either way, it takes weeks to break down the immune system and cause a reaction.

I just thought I'd let you know to not risk the Fitbit Force until the design is corrected since I've often raved about it.

I never had any reaction to the Fitbit Flex over the five months I wore it.

~Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment