Monday, September 1, 2014

Riding In Cars With Boys

This weekend was the last weekend in August. The month of sloth.

James & I took Friday to drive to Albuquerque to meet our nephew! 845 miles, so 13 hours plus breaks to get there. That's a lot of sitting in a car with the temptation to just snack our way through the long drive. We did have a relatively healthy lunch, though!


I did use the stops along the way to do some gas station yoga which was mostly warrior poses.

I find it easier to drive on road trips when we are listening to an audiobook, and James had listened to John Scalzi's new book Lock In narrated by Wil Weaton last week, and loved it. It just so happens that it was also narrated by Amber Benson since the main character's gender is never referenced, it lends a different aspect to the same book. We listened to the version by Amber Benson on the drive from Houston to Albuquerque. I highly recommend it.

We had a great time in ABQ visiting with family, meeting our nephew & soon-to-be godson as well as celebrating James' grandfather's birthday! We were just there for two full days, but we packed a lot of visiting in there. I even joined James for the last half hour of COMBAT 60 on Saturday morning.

Today, we headed out at 4:30 am mountain time & arrived home at about 8 pm. I again did some gas station yoga, but we didn't stop as often. We stopped around 6:30 am to get McDonald's breakfast, which is one of the very few times I have eaten fast food this year (I can count the times on my fingers). As such, we didn't stop for lunch, just snacked on the peanuts & skinny pop we packed with us, and the fries I caved for when we had 4 hours left to go.


On this drive, we continued the Scalzi track by listening to Old Man's War which was very well narrated & kept me wanting to keep going so we could keep listening!

Once we got home, I felt like working out the links of being in the car all day, and did PiYo Sweat. It's about 35 minutes of stretching & strength workout. I think it was good for me to start off with a workout for a new month.


So here's to a new month, and a renewed goal. I just want to work out. I want to move & sweat every day for at least half an hour.

~Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment