Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Not How I'd Prefer To Lose 5 Pounds

Let's take it for what it is: I had the flu this weekend.

What a pathetic face.
Not the flu that I'd heard about, that the rest of my friends and colleagues and loved ones had. It was my body's own version. I think everyone reacts to flu differently. Some have more respiratory issues, some have tummy issues, some have intestinal issues, some have fever, some don't, some have headaches, some don't, sometimes it lasts a week, sometimes a couple days. Everyone's flu symptoms differ with chemistry.

I felt fine on Saturday, and stayed home with James on Saturday night, since he had his version of flu Thurs-Saturday and I'd left him to fend for himself most of that time. We watched movies, I drank bubbly, and then crashed early. I woke up with a sore throat and feeling rather queasy. I wondered if it was the chinese food we had the night before. This morphed through the day.

It was not good.

I stayed home yesterday and had some of my first solid food in 24 hours: oatmeal, and saltines with chicken broth.

Skitz was quite sure that the chicken stock was for him. He kept trying to steal it. I barely had any. Low sodium chicken broth is yucky!

I still don't quite trust myself with more solid food.

But I dropped a whopping 5 pounds in 2 days.

Not that I am going to take a note from that and attempt to keep the sick going. But I'm drinking more water and having bland meals and keeping anything that could upset my tummy far far far away.

Shakeology was a godsend, because I knew it had a load of vitamins and minerals in it, and it's blended, so not difficult to digest. I had it when I finally felt I could on Sunday night and I am so glad that I did. It helped give my body what it needed without taxing my system.

I feel nearly human today. I would say totally human, but I'm nervous about working out because I'm still recovering, but I don't want to miss too many workouts in a row. So we'll see. I'll try. I'll take it easy.

James could tell when I was starting to feel more human. I stopped moaning every 5 minutes. When I have a fever, if it's not a very very high fever, I don't like taking fever reducers because the fever is doing its job of killing off the virus. Does that even make sense? But at the same time, I hate the way that a fever makes your skin super sensitive and how you ache all over and there's nothing to do and no position to relieve it. So instead, I moan and whimper every few minutes. Even when no one but the animals is there to hear me. Eventually, I took a hot bath with some bath salts to ease the feverish aches, and it worked wonders.

But we'll focus on the positives:
1. I lost some weight that had been nagging me.
2. I was forced to just pay attention to my body and rest.
3. I got some quality time in with my fiance and my animals.
4. It didn't last more than 2 days and I never developed a cough.

~Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment