Thursday, January 24, 2013

A bit on weights

For ChaLEAN Extreme, you need weights or resistance bands.

 I wanted to be able to travel with it, but also prefer weights, so I got both. I haven't done a resistance band workout, but it was within a dinner out pricing, so I added it on. It will be nice to not have to rely on a hotel gym having the equipment.

These are the bands that I got
But I prefer to use weights when I'm at home, because I feel the resistance the whole way and not as a gradual increase like the bands.  I had a pair of 2 lbs and 5 lbs dumbells at the house already, and I've found that the 2 lbs is WAY too light for me. The 5 lbs is something that I will quickly move beyond, as well. What can I say? I carry a laptop bag and a heavy purse every day. Dumbells are EXPENSIVE! Especially to have the range of weights that I'd like to have. I wasn't ready to commit to buying lots of sets for over $100, so I got this modular set that I could grow with.
The 1 lb weights don't come with the set 
I am a bit underwhelmed by it. The securing mechanism doesn't stay tight and the post gets in the way sometimes. It'll make do, but with the options that are available, the bar with the two screw caps are 4 lbs, then you need to be balanced, so you're options are pairs of 4 lbs, 10 lbs, 14 lbs, and 20 lbs or singles 26 lbs, 30 lbs, and 36 lbs, which is fine, but not great when it's slipping and sliding and you have to pause and reconfigure the weights in the middle of the program if you want to jump up or down with them.

So I've now gone and invested in 10, 15, and 20 lbs free dumbells so that I can easily switch between.  I may sell the modular set, or I may play around with loading it up to over 20 lbs for when I just need to use one HEAVY weight. We'll see. If you have dumbells, use them! If you aren't sure what weights you need to start with, go to a store or gym and see which weight you need to not be able to any more after 12 reps.

Quoting Chalene Johnson "Muscle Burns Fat!"

Katie

2 comments:

  1. I'm lucky that Kevin came with a full set of hand weights. I think they go up to 20 lbs. I need to start using them to get rid of my flabby under arms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he gave me his 5 lb weights. I bought 10, 15, and 20 lbs and have started working up to using the 20 lbs on some of the moves. I have realized that there are a couple of exercises that I'm using the 5s on because I'm not quite strong enough for the 10s on, but I'd prefer having something in between like 8 lbs to use in the interim.

      We'll see if I decide to go for it or if I just decide to keep using the 5s and pushing through the moves flexing massively to create some more resistance.

      Delete